Wednesday, February 27, 2008

BA #5-Post 1

1.) A hero that emerges in Book 20 is Philoetius, the good cowherd (20.203).

2.) The character is loyal to his king and kind to strangers. He greets Odysseus with a warm welcome saying "Cheers, old friend, old father, here's to your luck, great days from this day on..." (20.219-20). Philoetius also proves his loyalty to his "lost" king while speaking to Odysseus by saying "Odysseus, my great lord and master...set me in charge of his herds...I could have fled, ages ago...but I still dream of my old master" (20. 230-49). Lastly, Philoetius is a brave character, willing to fight for the king he is loyal to by saying that if Odysseus were to come home, "you'd see my power, my fighting arms in action [against the suitors]" (20.263-64).

3.) Philoetius is very similar to Eumaues. Besides both being herders for their king's livestock, both men are extremely loyal to their king and pine for the day Odysseus is to return so that they may take their vengeance against the suitors. They are also both loyal to Telemachus with Philoetius stating "What a traitor I'd be, with the prince still alive, if I'd run off to some other country" (20.242-43).

4.) What make Philoetius a hero is that he exemplifies characteristics the class found to define a hero. He is brave, loyal, noble in the the way he treats Odysseus in the guise of a beggar and in how he talks and enduring, staying on Odysseus's estate to tend the cattle even though the conditions there are unkind.

2 comments:

Kate said...

BA#5
I agree that Philoetius can be considered a hero. He is faithful to his master through and through. Odysseus has been gone twenty long years now, and the entire time Phileotius has been true. The fact that he shakes Odysseus's hand even though Odysseus appears as the beggar, show that Phileotius has great character. His character also shines through in his explaination of his inner stuggle about what to do about the sutiors brazzen disrespect for Odysseus's home and family.

Dave Morrissey said...

I would also agree that the cowherd proves to be a hero in regards to his acctions towards Odysseus. A prime example of this is when he offers his help to dispatch the suitors with Odysseus, "'bring my prayer to pass! Let the master come/ some god guide him now! You'd see my power/ my fighting arms in action!" (21.227-229)