Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It is agreeable that anyone can be a hero depending on what they consider a hero. Throughout this book there has been many heroes’ because everyone shows a heroic trait. This is shown throughout the book and the line that reads “Here I sit, my heart aching, broken for him, my master, my great king fattening up his own hogs for other men to eat, while he, starving for food, I wager, wanders the earth" (Book 14, line. 44). Shows how at this point or time Eumaeus was being heroic by his loyalty.

3 comments:

TJYelm said...

I disagree with your contention that Eumaeus is the hero this segment of the Odyssey. While he has commmendable traits such as his loyalty to his absent master, and continues to fullfill his duties honorably, and shows his guest a warm welcome. I do not feel however that he is a heroic servant, only a fine servant loyal to Odysseus, however does nothing to protect his masters goods, he protests the suitors "at their royal ease the devour all his goods" (14.105)but does nothing.

Dominick Tomanelli said...

I too disagree with your idea that Eumaeus can be considered a hero, at least of what we know of him already. I do not see any conclusive evidence that states that he is a hero, but there can be some speculations made and there might be a point to argue that he is, but there is no concrete evidence in favor of him being a hero. Eumaeus is not a great servant but is loyal. It also seems that he has no backbone and can not stand up for what he believes. "That's why they have no mind to do their courting..." (14.104), it seems as if Eumaeus thinks he is doing right by telling of what has happen but not having done anything to stop or change the problem.

Nicole Banks said...

Comment# 4
Eumaeus is not a hero, but he does have loyal traits that he shows for Odysseus. A hero believes in themself and Eumaeus really does not. The great qualiities about him is that he truly cares about Odysseus but I believe he talks alittle too much.And a hero in my opinion does not really show to others what he is exactly thinking.